I know some people would just hit them with a blast of primer. I’ve very rarely ever been able to do that myself. There’s always something nagging at the back of my mind that I didn’t spray on clean plastic. Just one of my many foibles. I’ve found for me LA Totally Awesome cleaner does the trick very well.
I first heard of using it from a YouTube channel eBay Miniature Rescue. I had been using Simple Green and a small sonic cleaner to clean my miniatures with, but after trying LA Totally Awesome cleaner it’s the only stuff I use now.
Free of the old paint and primer, these grey Berzerkers are waiting for a new coat of paint and new skulls to take for the Skull Throne.
After family tragedies and a heck of a year on top of that, I’m trying to ease back into painting. I found some Second Edition 40k Chaos Marines for a really good price and thought some good nostalgia would help. Getting some paint on these as soon as I clean them and dig out my old paint scheme from “back in the day”.
So many Projects on the go. Of course like a Hobby Magpie, I have to break from my feverish painting of Red Berzerkers and start another project.
Two Demon (Daemon?) Princes for the Hordes of Chaos that are now crowding my painting table. The one on the left my cousin built our of his bits box. I added some more Green Stuff sculpting on his back and the base. The one on the right is a rescue off of Mindtaker Miniatures. More pictures to come with more basing materials on both and some primer …. and paint (I hope).
Khorne Berzerkers. Of course Berzerkers. This is a Warhammer 40k army I have been working on for longer than I would really like to relate (some of the models were newly released when I bought them new so many moons ago). These pictures are of a very small part of the Berzerker Horde I have in the works. This is as far as I have gotten so far.
This particular unit is a rescue job. I got them second hand, and instead of taking the time to strip them properly and start over, I hit them with a gray primer and got stuck in. I’m finding the less prep time I have to do the more readily I get started with color.
I started with a 1:1 mix of old GW Mechrite Red and Chaos Black for a dark base. Then layered up with a Liquitex Acrylic Ink Napthal Red. For the next layer I used Vallejo Model Air’s Red. The highlight I used a 1:1 mix of GW Flame Red and an old Ral Partha Goblin Orange.
Before adding washes and metallic paints, I started blocking in all the black areas on the models. For this I used Golden Liquid Acrylics Carbon Black. It seems to thin down well enough for model work.